Tuesday, May 28, 2013

eWomenNetwork's Marilyn Kleinberg Talks Interpersonal Relationships, Common Networking Mistakes Business Professionals Make and the Power of "The Trust Factor"

Marilyn Kleinberg, 2012 Executive Managing Director of the Year, eWomenNetwork, is one executive who knows the value and opportunity in professional networking.

Marilyn, you are so famous in our region! Yes, you are...2012 executive managing director of the year for eWomenNetwork and a leading professional with more contacts than most, you deliver expertise in event planning, social media, advertising, networking and so much more. What do you feel is your superpower? 

Connecting with people, being able to recognize their special gifts and to make them feel appreciated. I strive to be my authentic self wherever I go. My mom used to say I wear my heart on my sleeve, while I think she was close…I truly live my life on my sleeve…

What is the latest news and activities at eWomenNetwork?

Marilyn Kleinberg
Just learned that I/we won and award from the Philadelphia Business Journal! On June 27th at Merion Caterers, I will accept the SJ Entrepreneur Award for Economic Outlook…for helping businesswomen in our community connect, build relationships, transact and build business with each other and our extended networks. Upcoming events include our 4th Annual healthy Mind, Healthy Body, Healthy Business Workshop and Expo on June, 27th at the Jersey Shore (yup, same day as the award ceremony…working on the cloning gene as I write.)

Why is it important to actually NETWORK with PEOPLE, not just social media, emails, texts? How important is the people connection to business? To opportunities? Is it still important at all? 

So glad you asked, because this was a tremendous learning curve when eWomenNetwork first started. You see, the “e” stood for electronic. When eWomenNetwork launched in 2000, it was created as an online forum for business women. Within a year women were connecting with other women in their area online and offline. What Sandra Yancey, our Founder and CEO realized at that moment was that “High tech, without high touch” doesn’t work. We (women and men) need to connect in person, find commonalities, create bonds that foster personal and business relationships. We are not selling a product, we are selling ourselves and interpersonal relationships are an important part of the “know, like and trust factor” that strengthens that relationship.

What is the most common mistakes businesses make, and business professionals too, when it comes to maximizing their presence at industry or association event? 

Everybody has their own style of networking…some more successful than others. A few common mistakes that I see, break into three different personality categories:

The Achiever: Quick to shake your hand and give you their business card. Has the “he/she who collects the most business cards wins” mentality. While this might be a great way to hand out cards and collect cards, it is based on a short term connection. I’ve noticed this type of networker keys in on the “what can you do for me” aspect. More often than not, this type of person is seen as irritating to others. (sorry if I offended anyone)

The Helper: He/she who embodies the eWomenNetwork motto “Give First/Share Always” will start a conversation with you to learn how they can be of service. Begins building the “know, like, trust factor” immediately. This is a great person to know and network with because they are other focused. The downside, if any, would be the tendency to spend so much time helping others, that they can become a victim of their own desire to help. I fall into this category!

The Observer: Feels threatened in a group setting and tends to react by becoming the observer as opposed to the networker. Tend to be thinkers, philosophers, engineers….”if I can figure how this works, then I can do it myself.” Often referred to as “the wallflower”

What is your favorite time of the year? And why? 

Spring and summer. I am a sun bunny, not a snow bunny! I drive a convertible, need I say more?

What are your views on social media and emerging trends in online marketing for businesses today?

It is not a fad..it is not going away…so you better learn how to integrate it into your total marketing and sales plan along with traditional marketing concepts. Social media and internet marketing has the ability to market to your power niches. You can flood the market with traditional media, but you can zero in demographically, geographically, and socio-economically with social media in a way that touches individuals.

What is the role of the "corporate diva" today, in terms of creating opportunities for women? 

We’ve come a long way baby, but we still have ladders to climb! The statistics speak for themselves…we are still a minority in the boardroom and in the CEO space. We talk a lot about “lift as we climb” but I don’t know how reality based that is…if women in leadership positions are insecure and looking over their shoulder for the “next best me”, then we will continue to be the minority.

What is one of your best memories from an eWomenNetwork event, meeting a person that inspired you, or the realization of how much you inspire others...or maybe just an awesome cheesecake? 

When I hear how the women I have introduced have found ways to not only transact business together, but partner in a way that expands both their businesses. I am humbled by the kind words others share about me. I just do what I do…and I love the women that I support and that support me. We are family.

Marilyn, Please share one of your favorite quotes with us.

“Whether you think you can, or that you can’t…you’re usually right”
Henry Ford 

“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship”
Louisa May Alcott
(I’ve had this poster by my desk since I was in the printing business in the 90’s)

No comments:

Post a Comment