Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Author Lorraine Agnew: Writing Novels, Challenging Yourself, Pouring Over Passages...and Deepak Chopra


Consumption Conversations speaks with New Jersey's own Lorraine Agnew, author of books for children and adults.


What is the most challenging aspect of writing a book? Or two? Or three? Or 10 or more...like you?

The most challenging aspect of writing a book is time. It is a long, laborious process. Writers pour over the same passages again and again, rewriting them until they are perfected, at least to their own satisfaction. It can takes months to write a first draft, followed by several months of the editing process. Needless to say, multiply that by several books and the investment in time multiplies.


Did you ever think you would be a published author?

When I first began writing novels, I had dreams of being published in conventional houses. However, as time went on, I realized how difficult it is to get published. It is a vicious cycle because you cannot get published unless you are represented by an agent. However, no agent will represent you until you get published. That was why I finally decided to self-publish.

What is the mistake most people make when they begin to write a book?

The most common mistake new authors make is not investigating what is required to complete a manuscript. I have friends and relatives who began books and stopped abruptly in the middle. These people believe they have a unique story or interesting twist. However, when it comes down to doing the work, they realize they don’t have the time and, maybe, the stamina to complete the project. While I encourage people who want to write a book, I remind them they should be prepared for the long haul.

Who are some of your favorite authors? And why?
I am a huge fan of Deepak Chopra. He has written several self-help books and I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. However, he has also written a novel that proved he is, indeed, a great storyteller. I enjoy books by Dan Brown because they are exciting and force me to open my mind and consider other possibilities. I love the imagination and cleverness of R.K. Rowling. Writers like Patricia Cornwell and John Grisham keep me on the edge of my seat. There are many more, however this is a sampling of current writers. I’ve always enjoyed books by Agatha Christie, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.

Is there a quote that you live by, kind of a personal motto?

There are many quotes by which I live. Some are inspirational, some common sense. However, when it comes to writing, I like, “If, at first, you don’t succeed, try, try again.” (First written record of this proverb is found in Thomas H. Palmer's 1840 publication,
Teacher's Manual).) I believe we shouldn’t be afraid of failure; we should be afraid of not even trying.

Do you feel all people are creative - or can be creative?

I believe everyone has the ability to be creative. Some people haven’t discovered their talent yet. I think if people let go of their fears of failure, they will discover their creative fires that burn inside.

For more information on Lorraine Agnew, LIKE! Lorraine Agnew on Facebook or contact Consumption Marketing at www.asterismgroup.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment