Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Philadelphia Artist Evan Polk Talks Art, Comedy, Motivation & That Blue Duck

Evan Polk is an artist. He's also a visionary, dreamer, philosopher, father and lover of an equally artistic and visionary blue duck named Sanchez. Evan Polk is a rising comedian and abstract artist whose varied experiences are impressive and indicative of his commitment to his crafts.

In 2012, he became the first comic to have performed stand-up live in Philadelphia’s LOVE Park.

Evan has performed stand-up at various Greater Philadelphia comedy venues, including Laff House, Helium, and Pennsylvania colleges and universities. In the Summer of 2013 Evan discovered that he had artistic talents that extended beyond the comedy stage. When his Apple iPhone broke, it forced him to do something to occupy his time at work with something other than work. He started drawing portraits on printer paper and boxes.

The result: Sanchez, The Blue Duck. Today, with Sanchez growing in popularity and Evan exploring deeper his natural artistry, Evan continues to perform stand-up in Center City Philadelphia and throughout the Greater Philadelphia Region, with opportunities to appear across the country popping up regularly. And Sanchez is taking on a life of his very own...

Evan, what is coming up for you in 2015?

Evan Polk: 2015 is looking like a good year for myself and Sanchez. We are planning on having at least four showings, celebrating the first full year of Blue Duck Vision LLC, a few collaborations and a mural installation placed in Philadelphia. I have released all of my first series of paintings and the copies are available for purchase at evanpolk.com - it's an exciting time and I am ready for more.

What motivates, inspires you - what makes you drive forward I life?

Evan Polk: What motivates me to create art work and comedy is this weird feeling and it is extremely addictive - kind of a fusion of excitement, nervousness, fear and arrogance. I want to live in that feeling for the rest of my life - that's what motivates me, Also, creating a legacy.  I do not want to die and that hyphen that separates my date of birth and my time of death on my tombstone to mean absolutely nothing. Even greater, what drive me forward in life is my kids.

Do you believe in miracles?

Evan Polk: I don't believe in miracles. I believe in divine intervention!

Evan, what is the significance of Sanchez the Blue Duck?

Evan Polk: Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Looking out into the community, how do you think we could combat intolerance?

Evan Polk: Honestly I don't think you can battle intolerance because people are always going to have their own methods on how people should be treated. That's what this society we live in was built on the backs, sweat, blood and mistreatment of other people. It's embedded in this country so I can't honestly see it being fought.

What is your view on today's youth and hope?

Evan Polk: Terrible - my view on today's youth is absolutely terrible. Every time I look at the next generation I think sink or swim and 70 percent of them are going to sink. Especially with this instant gratification attitude that they have - meaningless. It is very troubling - for us all.

Looking positive, what charitable efforts do you want to share?

Evan Polk: I would like to help out the youth and the elderly homeless. Most of the kids in group homes and foster homes age out and have no where to go and are left with no direction. They are just thrown out on to the streets with no one, absolutely nothing and no place to go. They need guidance and the opportunity to create their own art, music, comedy, dreams, whatever - they need a chance.

Visit Evan Polk online for more on Evan...and Sanchez!

No comments:

Post a Comment