Friday, July 26, 2013

Michelle Glover On Chasing Entrepreneurial Spirit, Woman Power, Learning How To Fail & Breaking Barriers

After Michelle Glover earned her PhD in Genetics, she discovered she had more of a passion for business and traded in her lab coat for high heels. While working for a Fortune 500 company, Michelle incubated start-ups as serial entrepreneur, founding and co-founding businesses such as:

DreamLife Properties
The Tea Oil Tree Review
Alpine View Investments
The Chips
Slime Sandwich

Michelle’s highest desire and calling is to help women in business actualize their dreams.  Her blog on business information and tips can be found at Girl EnTREEpreneur. On Twitter, Michelle is @enTREEpreneurz.

Michelle, women entrepreneurs and business owners have it rough. The demands of starting a business, finding the time to give their ideas creative energy and branding and competing in the business world, perhaps for the first time, can be overwhelming. You work with so many diverse women, providing expertise and inspiration.  What is your greatest hope as you speak to women building businesses today?

First, I agree with Arthur Golden who said, “Never give up; for even rivers someday wash dams away.”  Of course you need a good idea and business map, but in building a business, the main ingredient is a conviction of will to never, ever give up.  Second, know that failure is only temporary.  And most of all, know that in the journey, women have something special – they have that bond with other intelligent, capable and caring women who can help them to overcome anything.

What is the "internet business code" and how can women entrepreneurs use it to build their businesses?

At Girl EnTREEpreneur, in building internet businesses, I teach the Girl EnTREEpreneur Ultimate Business Formula. If you follow this formula, treat people with kindness, have a bit of faith and a good coach or mentor, you can create a kick ass business and life you love. Here it is:

LOCATE A HUNGRY POOL OF FISH.
AND FEED THEM AGAIN.
DISCOVER WHAT THEY WANT TO EAT.
FEED THEM.

Does every boutique, salon, accounting firm, law office, design studio, bakery, consignment shop and business consulting firm really need a Twitter?

I specialize in building online businesses so social marketing is a must.  Besides SEO, it is one of the most cost effective ways of marketing your business.  It can take a lot of time, so entrepreneurs should design an effective social media plan to reach their customers and build excitement for their brand.  As far as local business, it depends on how creatively and effectively you can reach your customer.  Check out Dan Kim @DanKimRedMango on Twitter; he is a genius at using social media to sell yogurt and smoothies.

Michelle...great book or classic movie?

Neither. Give me the Cliff Notes.  I’ve got too much to do. Strike that – I’ll watch Notting Hill anytime it’s on!

Are you a morning person? 

Yep, but I like to sleep in a bit, have breakfast and a good cup of coffee while I talk to my husband, spend time with my kids, and love on my dog, Miloh.

What are the three biggest mistakes women make when they are developing a business plan?

I’m just thrilled if they actually develop a business plan.  Often women seem to think just because they bake a mean cookie, there is a business behind that.  I teach women to make sure there is a hungry pool of fish before they jump into the deep end.  Regarding business plans, I’d have to agree with Anthony Robbins that a business plan is a thing of the past – business, technology and competition is moving so quickly that women need to create a business map if they want to succeed. http://tinyurl.com/n7zqh2j

What are the three greatest lessons you learned from three of your greatest business mistakes?

I’ve learned that I HATE mistakes!  Ok, now that I feel better, I can admit my most important lessons have been the fruit of my many screw-ups.  I’ve learned that timing is important – launch too soon and a bad product will turn off the customer; launch too late and the competition will already own the market.  I’ve learned the old adage is true – hire slowly and fire quickly.  Last, keep costs low and push to make a profit as quickly as possible, as cash is the life-blood of any startup.

Why is it important to fail...to succeed?

You can’t succeed without failure.  Teddy Roosevelt said, “Fail while daring greatly, so that your place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat.”  The old Rough Rider is right.  Every great adventure or business is built upon the back of more failures than you’ll ever think you’ll have.  But it is all worth it.  Remember take the risk, but make sure you fail forward fast, so you can learn your lesson and live to fight again.

What are you most proud of, professionally? What is your "signature" project or startup that, in many ways, defines your expertise beautifully and makes you most proud?

I’m probably most proud of becoming financially free from some of the early real estate businesses I started.  There is great freedom in knowing that should the sky fall, my family is protected.  Although I am very proud of my new startup, The Tea Tree Oil Review, I am enjoying helping women to have financial success at Girl EnTREEpreneur.

Have you discovered the best ways to balance work and family? If so...share!

Balance?  I admit I haven’t figured that out.  This year, I am really trying hard to put away business so I can spend more time on my health, family and matters of the heart.  I think the biggest thing is to really remember all those things are vitally important and to schedule times to nourish each area of your life – and to actually honor those times!

Are you reading any interesting books at the moment?

Oh, yeah!  I’m really enjoying anything by Seth Godin.  I’m also catching up on some products by Jay Abraham, Brendon Burchard and Jeff Walker.

Please share one of your favorite quotes.

I love two quotes by Maya Angelou:  “Love recognizes no barriers.  It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”  I also like, “There is no greater agony than burying an untold story inside you.”

What do you feel is the secret to entrepreneurial happiness?

Build a business that you really truly love and serves others. I believe entrepreneurs need to connect deeply with the thing that drives them to stay motivated during the difficult times.  For me, it’s the opportunity to give greatly to this world.  Ten percent of the profit from the The Tea Tree Oil Review will go to KIVA and ConcernWorldwideUS.

Girl EnTREEpreneur Helping Women Build a Business One Leaf at a Time!
twitter: @enTREEpreneurz
website:  www.girlentreepreneur.comwww.theteatreeoilreview.com
email: pepperminttopia@live.com
www.theteatreeoilreview.com

No comments:

Post a Comment